Tuesday, June 21, 2011

TASTY TUESDAY

I have been talking about making a Strawberry Rhubarb Pie for a very long time now. So everytime I said anything about making it everyone started saying, "yeah, yeah we have heard about this pie but haven't seen it yet!" So for Father's Day I decided to make Eric Sr one. Bela has always told me how, his mother used to make an Apple Rhubarb Pie. So I decided that I would make him one as well. So here is the recipe I used. I did cheat and buy the Pillsbury ready made pie crust. I know, I know, I just don't have much time so I made it as quick as possible!

Strawberry Rhubarb Pie
9-inch

Pastry for 9-inch two-crust pie
1 1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup all purpose flour
2 cups cut up fresh rhubarb
2 cups cut up fresh strawberries
2 tbsps butter

Heat oven to 425 degrees. Prepare pastry. Stir together sugar and flour. Turn half the rhubarb into pastry-lined pie pan; sprinkle with half the sugar mixture. Repeat with remaining rhubarb and sugar; dot with butter. Cover with top crust, make slits in it, seal and flute. Sprinkle with sugar. Cover edge with 2 to 3 inch strip of aluminum foil to prevent excessive browning; remove foil last 15 minutes of baking.

Bake 40 to 50 minutes or until crust is brown and juice begins to bubble through slits in crust.

(For the Strawberry Apple Rhubarb Pie I made for Bela, I did 2 cups of rhubarb, 1 cup of strawberries and 1 cup of sliced (peeled and cored) apple. but otherwise followed the same steps.)

No comments:

Post a Comment