Saturday, December 10, 2011

Dark Days Challenge- Week 1- Dec.4-Dec11.

Going into this week trying to plan out what I was going to have was very exciting. I kept thinking of different things that I could make. 

As it got closer however, I seemed to have had to rush things together. We have been very busy lately making holiday wreaths, butters and jams to sell at our big event this weekend that I had almost forgot.

This week I decided that I would make 





"Garlic Rosemary chicken with Maple baked Butternut squash."

I did not get to take a picture which made me a little upset because I really wanted this post to be perfect.

But this is what I did and the ingredients.

Whole range Cornish Cross Chicken (Cross Creek Farm - ours)
Chopped Garlic cloves (Cross Creek Farm- ours)
Rosemary Garlic powder seasoning (Cross Creek Farm - ours)
Butternut Squash (Stoughton's Farm- Newark Valley)
Maple Syrup (Sugarbush Run - Newark Valley)

I first chopped the garlic and put it inside the Chicken. I then rubbed the Rosemary Garlic seasoning all over the outside of the chicken. I added a little water to the roasting pan just to add a little extra moisture. Covered it tightly with tin foil and cooked it in the oven for 1 1/2 hours at 375 degrees. I then took the foil off and let the skin crisp up for 15 minutes more.

With the butternut squash, I cut it in half, dug out the seeds, laid it in a baking pan and filled the part where the seeds were with Sugarbush Run maple syrup. I then rubbed the maple syrup over the rest of the squash. Added a little water to the pan and covered tightly with Tin foil. I baked it the same amount of time and temperature as the Chicken.

I then scooped all the squash out of it and mashed it with a potato masher.Add a little extra Maple syrup and dished it up.

Eric Jr loved it!

I will have to say that this task was a little harder than I thought it would be. I caught myself a few times grabbing the salt and some other things. I did however find a place where I can get salt from and it will be within the same state. Not as local as I preferred but it may work. 

I plan on doing something better next week. Stay tuned to find out! 

Make sure you check out the other blogs and see what they did this week for the Dark Days Challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment