Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Dark Days Challenge- 12/11-12/17

Last week I did not do a very good post for the Dark Days Challenge. I was not happy because I was so excited to start this. So forgive me for last week and hopefully this week will kick off what I am hoping to be a great Dark Days Challenge posting spree!

This week I decided that I would do something with our rabbit meat. We sell rabbit meat at market and the common question is...."How do you cook it?" I have been meaning to try numerous different recipes so I can have more than just "my favorite" recipe.

I never had rabbit until I met my husband. I never knew how good it was for you until I researched it. When we were getting ready to raise it to start selling, I had to make sure that I knew what I was talking about.

I had planned on doing a rabbit of the month recipe on our website and have not yet done one every month. I don't like to recommend recipes unless I try them first. So this is giving me a great reason to test out the recipes I plan on recommending and handing out to potential customers.

This week I made:

Roasted Rabbit with Garlic, Rosemary and Hungarian Hot pepper and for a side I made Fried Corn with onions and Peppers


Roasted Rabbit with Garlic, Rosemary and Hungarian Hot pepper


1- 2 1/4 lb rabbit (Cross Creek Farm, Berkshire NY)
salt
pepper
2 garlic cloves, chopped (Cross Creek Farm Berkshire NY- Italian Red Garlic)
Rosemary (Cross Creek Farm Berkshire NY)
Hungarian Hot pepper (Cross Creek Farm Berkshire NY)

Season both sides of the rabbit with salt and pepper.
Combine garlic, rosemary and Hungarian hot pepper in a small bowl.
Rub mixture over both sides of rabbit
Cover and refrigerate 2-3 hours
Preheat oven 475 degrees
Uncover and roast until tender and cooked through, 30-35 minutes.


Fried Corn with Onions and Peppers


Corn (Iron Kettle Farm, Candor NY)
Onion (Cross Creek Farm, Berkshire NY)
Red peppers (Cross Creek Farm, Berkshire NY)
Green Peppers (Cross Creek Farm, Berkshire NY)
Butter

Melt butter in skillet over medium heat.
Saute until onion is just beginning to turn crispy.



The corn, peppers and onions I used were ones that I had frozen. I believe that the corn would have been so much better if it was made with all fresh ingredients.

The rabbit was AMAZING! And as you can probably tell I love Garlic and rosemary. I promise next week I will try to make something that isn't rosemary garlic! : )

I will also have to say that challenge is making realize that there is a lot I can make with what we grow on our farm. Very excited to continue and looking for new recipes!








No comments:

Post a Comment