Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Stinging Nettle Stings!

Last year when we began our herbal tea journey I was researching a lot of herbs and I was reading a lot about Stinging Nettle. I really had no clue what the plant looked like or what it did. I asked my father-in-law to show me one and the one he showed me didn't sting. So he said that that wasn't nettle. He said we would take a walk through the woods and he would show me. Well we never took that walk.

This year we decided to grow stinging nettle in pots to sell for people that don't have woods and forest areas around them. I have had quite a few people that live in the cities excited that we are growing it. To most country people it is an invasive weed that they just can't get rid of and no one wants to go near.

 We have been having this conversation about how he doesn't want to touch it even if we did find it and he is not working with it to make teas. He thinks I am crazy. I kept telling him it couldn't have been that bad!

Today I was transplanting the plants from our 50 count trays into their individual pots and I got stung! I was lucky that no one but Julianna was in the greenhouse with me. I knew that if Eric Sr was in there with me he would have laughed hysterically.

Either way I recommend you be careful when working with Stinging Nettle. It doesn't sting that bad but it's enough to get your attention. I will be wearing gloves when I am preparing it into teas and things.

Now for a little information on Stinging Nettle:

Do NOT use stinging nettle if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.

Do NOT give to children under 2 years of age.

Stinging nettle has many needle like hairs on its leaves that inject histamine and other chemicals into you.

Nettle is used in treating arthritis and rheumatism. Other uses are: expectorant, asthma, cancer, cough, diabetes, eczema, fluid retention, gout, heart failure, high blood pressure, muscle spasms, nasal allergies, nosebleed, promote hair growth, reduce blood loss, tuberculosis, urinary tract infections, uterine bleeding and wounds.

As I always say:

CHECK WITH YOUR DOCTOR BEFORE TREATING YOURSELF!

No comments:

Post a Comment