Tuesday, January 31, 2012

New Herbal teas

I have talked before about us making more herbal teas and selling those as well. Something more to add to our herbal products.

With everything that has been going on, I will admit I have kind of neglected the herbs a little. The teas...neglected quite a bit.

Today I spent the whole day working on teas. I have been doing a lot of research and things prior but have also asked a few people what their favorite teas are. Of course I do not have a huge variety of some herbs because I did not plan on things selling as well as they did. We also planted fresh plants last spring, so they did not produce a lot.

I changed the packaging. They are now available in a 2 pack, giving you the opportunity to try them and not have to buy a bunch to try 1! 2 packs will be available for $1.50 each.

So here are some that will be available at our next indoor market at the Metrocenter in Downtown Binghamton on Friday from 5pm-8pm.

Bee Balm Tea

            I will admit this is one that I had never tried. But when I tasted it, I believe this is my new favorite go to tea. There are so many benefits as well.
        
            A little background on the herb itself:
            The plant is native to Oswego, NY. Therefore giving the plant the nickname "Oswego Tea." Of course history suggests that both the town and the tea got their name from the indians inhabiting area.
           It is medicinal as well as flavorful and edible.
           Uses: colds, sore throats, headaches, gastric disorders, reduce low fevers, relieve flatulence, nausea, menstrual pain and insomnia.
            It is classified as a stimulant, antiseptic, diuretic, diaphoretic, carminative

Bee Balm tea needs to be steeped for 10 minutes. You can add sweetener, but Eric who is the "sweet" king didn't even need to add sugar. I thought it was great just the way it was. If you do add a sweetener, I would recommend honey or stevia. Remember....natural!
      Another interesting tid bit of information. Bee Balm is a good companion to plant with Tomatoes, giving the tomatoes better growth and flavor. However, Bee Balm is evasive, so I would be careful planting them too close.

Chamomile Tea

         Apple like fragrance and flavor.
         Has a tonic effect as well as antispasmodic properties.
         Uses: Calm nerves, remedy delirium tremens, and prevent nightmares

I will say that we personally used this to treat both Eric Jr and Julianna's colic when they were younger and I still give them some if I think they have an upset stomach.

Chamomile needs to be steeped for 10 minutes.


Goldenrod Tea

 We all know what Goldenrod is. Most of us believe it is just a weed that grows all over the area and turns the fields a golden yellow.

But Goldenrod is actually a very delightful and healthy choice for tea.

It has a mild anise scent.
Goldenrod is a stimulant, carminative and diuretic.
Uses: fevers, chest pain, spasms, sore throat, urinary tract inflammation, exhaustion and fatigue, and chronic diarrhea.

Now I do want to make note - GOLDENROD SHOULD NOT BE USED DURING PREGNANCY!


I did a Chamomile/Lavender tea today, but that was for a special order and I used all of my lavender that I harvested this summer. I plan on having more next year. We planted 50 lavender plants and will probably plant more this year!

We will also have Peppermint tea, Spearmint tea, Lemongrass tea, and Calendula Tea available on Friday as well!


* I would like to make sure you understand this is information I have obtained through reading books. "The Rodale Herb Book," The Herbal Drugstore" by Linda white and Steven Foster and "The Complete Guide to Herbal Medicines" by Charles W. Fetrow and Juan R. Avila. 
I am not a doctor and am not diagnosing or trying to cure anything. Please make sure you discuss all herbal treatments with your physician. There are many herbs that interfere with drugs.*

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the heads up about not drinking goldenrod during pregnancy, my wife and I drink it all the time, we're trying at the moment and I (nor would she) would not have thought to stop drinking it.

    Something I tried today, chamomile brewed with a couple of slice of apple and a cinnomen stick, very nice!

    ReplyDelete