Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Tasty Tuesday- Chicken Paprikash

This is what it looks like, just served over noodles.
We like to use spiral noodles with it.
Bela, my father-in-law is Hungarian. He makes this dish (Chicken Paprikash.) This is not the recipe he uses. He does not have a specific recipe he just makes it but I think this recipe that I found is pretty close except for he does it on the stove in a pressure cooker. This recipe (from CD Kitchen online) calls for a slow cooker. Either way, it's one of those things where I know that I will never be able to make it the same as he does, but I can tell you it is amazingly delicious. I get very excited and jittery like a child on christmas morning when he makes it!

Either way, this is a varied recipe of a great dish. It is very inexpensive. And I chose this for this week because our next set of meat birds are going to the butcher on Thursday. Which means you could plan to have this this weekend and come buy one of our chickens to make it! : )

I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!

Chicken Paprikash

Ingredients:

1 onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tsp paprika (I recommend the actual Hungarian paprika, it has more flavor to it then your generic paprika.)
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 cup canned chicken broth
1 lb of chicken, cut into thighs, legs, breast)
1 tbsp flour
1/2 cup sour cream
Sprial noodles

In a nonstick skillet, saute onion and garlic for 5 minutes. Stir in paprika, salt and pepper, cook 30 seconds more. Spoon mixture into a slow cooker; add broth.

Add chicken pieces to slow cooker. Cover and let simmer for 5-6 hours.

Stir together flour and sour cream in a cup, stir into chicken mixture. Cover and cook on low until the mixture is thick and hot, about 10 minutes more.

Serve over cooked spiral noodles.

Serves about 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment